Tuesday, September 7, 2010

Jan Patek Obsession

It is now apparent that I have a Jan Patek obsession.

My favorite quilting store just rolled out their Fall 2010 class schedule. There is a ton of classes like Cathedral Windows, Dresden Star, Omigosh etc including the two that I picked: Spring Fling and Orange Peel. Spring Fling is by Jan Patek and as soon as I saw it on the wall I was like "omfg!". It is a tiny bit different than her normal country bumpkin patterns; this pattern is very soft and quite crisp- I love it. The other is Orange Peel out of the book called "Remembering Adelia: Quilts Inspired by Her Diary" by Kathleen Tracy.

Every time I see a Jan Patek pattern, I just fall in love with it. There were several JP classes this fall but I thought I should probably branch out slightly. I also loved the Omigosh by Quakertown Quilts Inc. but it is quite big and requires a large stash (since I am new-I don't quite have one yet).

Spring Fling by Jan Patek                                      

Orange Peel

Cheers,
Sylv's

2 comments:

  1. momshobby777@live.comOctober 9, 2010 at 12:44 PM

    I just finished taking a machine applique class doing the Patek, Spring Fling. I also love it. I completed my machine applique, and am just now putting on the first border. I am thinking of machine quilting this one as it is not so big. My store did not have this one finished, just the "unquilted" version. Do you have any ideas for machine quilting this? Good luck with the rest of your quilt, and post some pictures.
    Thanks
    momshobby777@live.coom

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi there,

    Sorry, I don't know how I missed your comment earlier. I haven't gotten much further on mine and my store didn't have a finished one either. But my plan (when I actually get it done) will be to quilt in the ditch for the major squares and then carefully go around each design at least once. Since mine is going to be a wall hanging, it won't get "used" as much so I thought less quilting might be better. I am going to also use Hobbs Heirloom Natural Cotton Batting With Scrim which allows you to quilt up to 10 " apart. Let me know how it turned out.

    ReplyDelete